About ALS Hearings
Cobb County DUI Defense Lawyer
When you have been arrested and charged with DUI, you have only 10 days from the time of the arrest to request an ALS (Administrative License Suspension) hearing. This request must be in writing and when it is received, you will have a hearing scheduled within 30 days. During that time, a Cobb County DUI defense lawyer from the Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson will gather evidence to bring to the hearing to fight to avoid the automatic driver’s license suspension that could occur in any DUI case. Depending upon your situation, this suspension could be for varying lengths of time. In a first DUI charge, the license suspension is for one year. A work permit, in which you are allowed to legally drive to and from work may be allowed under certain circumstances.
ALS Hearings Defense Lawyer in Cobb County
The Department of Driver Services has these hearings in order to determine whether your license should be suspended and they review certain aspects of your arrest, including:
- Did the officer involved in the arrest have reasonable grounds to be suspicious that you were driving a car while intoxicated, either with drugs or alcohol, and were you legally arrested for DUI;
- Were you involved in an accident during the incident that caused serious injury or a fatality;
- Were you properly and legally informed of your “implied consent” rights and the law regarding refusing a chemical blood alcohol concentration test when you were asked to submit to the testing;
- Did you refuse to take the test;
- Whether the test was administered to you and the BAC level registered at .08% or higher for an adult, .02% or higher if you were under 21, or .04% or higher if arrested while operating a commercial vehicle;
- Whether the tests were correctly administered per the training guidelines.
After the ALS hearing, the status of your license will be determined within five days. At the Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson, the legal team is highly qualified to dispute any evidence that was gathered against. The firm has helped countless individuals in the Cobb County area to avoid losing their license or to appeal a judgment that resulted in a suspended license. You must act quickly and contact the firm immediately after the arrest.
Contact a Cobb County DUI defense lawyer
from the Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson today.